I currently hold 2 voluntary roles alongside my paid project work under Look After Business and Fractional Commercial Director roles.
Details of each of these roles are enclosed below, however I am always interested in looking at exciting new opportunities so if you believe I can help you please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Senior Non Executive Independent Director (Non paid), Skateboard England
Whilst Skateboarding is one of four new sports to be featuring for the first time in the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020, there is currently no National Governing Body (NGB) for the Sport in England. Following the establishment of a working group by a number of high profile Skateboarders in 2015, as part of a pathway to Sport England accreditation I was appointed to the Board of the fledgling NGB in early 2017 with a brief to create a suitable governance, audit and risk structure for the NGB to move forward.
- Appointed Non-Executive Director with responsibility for Finance, Audit & Risk following a competitive application process in early 2017.
- Set up basic financial structures, risk management programme and input into business plan
- Appointment to Senior NED role in September 2017
Member of Council (Non paid), Institute of Chartered Accountants England & Wales
ICAEW is a world leading professional membership organisation that promotes, develops and supports more than 147,000 members worldwide. www.icaew.com
- Elected following a competitive process by the ICAEW members in Birmingham and West Midlands to serve a 4 year term starting in May 2017
- Working with other Council members on strategy, direction and governance for the ICAEW and its members.
And some of my now completed voluntary roles:
Trustee, Audit & Risk (non paid) – City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
£9 million turnover member owned charity, employing 150 highly motivated and skilled employees and a business with 95 years of heritage and quality known around the world: www.cbso.co.uk
- Co-opted to Board as Trustee for one year term November 2010, subsequently elected in November 2011 and appointed Trustee for Finance. I was re-elected to this position for a further three year term in November 2014, retiring from the Board in November 2017 following completion of the AGM.
- Responsible for financial stability of the CBSO, chairing regular Finance & Audit meetings, liaising with external and internal stakeholders which include Birmingham City Council, Arts Council England, the CBSO Pension Scheme, the Members via speaking at the AGM, etc
- Active involvement in several long-term project teams looking at future sustainability options for both the orchestra and the music scene in the City given the difficult current funding climate
- Input via Board membership into the CBSO’s strategy and operations
- Responsible with the Executive team for 7 successive years of beating annual budget despite continual funding round reductions and a deep recession.
Non Executive Independent Director (Non paid), Warwickshire Cricket Board
A company limited by guarantee formed in February 2013, responsible for all recreational (i.e non professional) cricket in the county of Warwickshire: www.warwickshirecricketboard.co.uk
- Asked by the Warwickshire Cricket Club chairman to join the board in early 2012 to help strengthen governance and speed the (then unincorporated) board to incorporation with the aim of becoming a high performing Board
- Incorporation and completion of business plan subsequently achieved ahead of plan and to budget
- Working towards targets, both cricket and financial to achieve Sport England, ECB and Warwickshire aims for the future sustainability of the sport in the County
- Particular involvement in the development of a Women & Girls strategy for the Board
- Resigned in early 2018 having spent 6 years on the Board and feeling that with board best practice in mind I should rotate off at that point.