Starting, building, developing – I love the wide variety of roles that my skills have allowed me to pursue and am tremendously privileged to work with the organisations listed below. Here is a sample of what I am up to right now, both in a paid capacity and as a volunteer.
Founder & Director
On a mission to help those that “don’t know what they don’t know” about small company and charity governance, BoardSecure is a new project showing great promise. This fills the majority of my time at present. For more see www.boardsecure.co.uk
Warwick Music Group
Chief Operating Officer
Queen’s Award for innovation winner, Warwick Music Group create quality wind and brass instruments with the aim of making the joy of music accessible and fun. www.warwickmusicgroup.com
Based in Tamworth, we have operations which span four continents, backed by Midven’s Exceed Partnership Fund and the Advantage Creative Fund.
My fractional role (one formal day each week) is to work with the CEO and the venture investors to help develop and structure the processes in the business to scale up our overall operations, enabling us to grow sales internationally and develop new products to add to our award-winning IP-rich portfolio.
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW) – voluntary role
Member of Council
ICAEW is a world leading professional membership organisation that promotes, develops and supports more than 147,000 members worldwide. www.icaew.com
- Elected following a competitive process by the ICAEW members in Birmingham and West Midlands to serve a 4 year term starting in May 2017
- Working with other Council members on strategy, direction and governance for the ICAEW and its members.
Skateboard England – Voluntary role
Senior Independent Non-Executive Director
Whilst Skateboarding is one of four new sports to be featuring for the first time in the Olympics in Tokyo in 2021 (postponed from 2020!), there is currently no National Governing Body (NGB) for the Sport in England. www.skateboard-england.org
Following the establishment of a working group by a number of high profile Skateboarders in 2015, as part of a pathway to Sport England accreditation I was appointed to the Board of the fledgling NGB in early 2017 with a brief to create a suitable governance, audit and risk structure for the NGB to move forward.
- Appointed Non-Executive Director with responsibility for Finance, Audit & Risk following a competitive application process in early 2017.
- Set up basic financial structures, risk management programme and input into business plan
- Appointment to Senior NED role in September 2017
Birmingham Museums Trust – voluntary role
Trustee for Finance & Risk)
A £12m turnover historic properties trust (9 locations) with significant financial contribution from Birmingham City Council and the Arts Council. Statutory Director responsible for all financial and risk management activities at this prestigious charity. www.birminghammuseums.org.uk
- Nominated as Trustee in October 2019 and asked to chair Finance & Risk committee in early 2020
- Current workload includes responding to significant Covid-threat to organisational existence, succession-planning (new CEO recently appointed), full governance review (ahead of Commonwealth Games and in knowledge that diversity, inclusion and organisational integration into City and its culture needs improvement) and review of entire business model given pressure on central funding (even before Covid!).